PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weekly Menu Plan - Dec. 13-19

Less than two weeks until Christmas ... this week will find me in the kitchen more, with lots of Christmas baking to be done. I've been making some progress on the shopping ... and so, I should be able to give some more time to baking this week. 

My second week of posting my weekly menus here ... an incentive to make out my menus. Out of last week's menu plan for five days of main dishes, I actually only made three of them. One dish lasted for two meals (in our "empty nest" years), and then we ended up eating in Omaha on Sunday after church. There's a HyVee store right near our church, and as we needed to stop there for a few groceries, we ended up ordering their "Chinese Bowl" at the deli ... delicious. 


The photo above was taken there in HyVee ... so colorful! I don't normally shop at HyVee, but it is my choice of grocery stores when I am looking for something that is more unusual, or difficult to find, and they will usually have it. 

Yesterday we were looking for saffron threads for a hot cocoa recipe that my husband spotted in a newspaper. (He loves anything chocolate!) We found it at HyVee, as we expected, but it was a bit over $12. for a very small amount, so we didn't get it. Later, we realized that the recipe called for only a pinch of it, so we could have gotten it. But ... we also learned (online) that you can substitute turmeric for saffron threads, so that is what we did. And my husband says the hot cocoa was very delicioius! (Interesting fact, according to an online source: saffron threads, taken from the crocus sativus flower, is the world's most expensive spice.) 

Saffron Vanilla Hot Cocoa

1 cup whole milk
Pinch saffron threads (or pinch of turmeric)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan on medium heat, heat the milk and saffron (or turmeric) until hot but not boiling. Whisk in the chocolate chips and vanilla extract. Whisk until completely smooth. Serves 1.


Menu Plan for this week ...

Mon. ~ Tacos

Tues. ~ Broccoli, Potato, and Cheese Soup  (Slow Cooker)    

Wed. ~ SV Staff Christmas Party
             Sweet and Sour Popcorn Chicken
             Cashew Tossed Salad
             Dinner Rolls
             Christmas Goodies and Snacks

Thurs. ~ Beef Enchilada Casserole  (Freezer Meal - Thanks, Sara!)

Fri. ~ Date Night 

Sun. ~ Sunday Chicken and Stuffing


Baking
Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Apricot Cranberry Bread
Date Pinwheel Cookies
Chocolate-covered Cheesecake Squares
and more ...

So many yummy choices of Christmas goodies ... will be looking through my "Taste of Home" magazines these next few days; always fun to pick out some new recipes to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment