PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Monday, February 26, 2024

Cultivating ... Daily, and Intentionally


As the cold days of winter begin to fade away and as the first faint signs of spring begin to draw us in, we find ourselves longing for new life. We even may be starting to dream and prepare for our veggie and flower gardens. We begin to prepare our spaces, and also the soil for new spring life. 

In the same way, after the restful, maybe quieter days of winter, I am also reminded this time of year to prepare my heart for a new season of growth. Preparing to grow my heart for what matters the most. Maybe because a bit of the winter cold has settled in? And I find myself longing for some breaths of fresh air in my soul.

So I am welcoming these seasonal reminders to pay attention to more than just preparing the soil of our gardens for spring, but to also pay attention to and to nourish what matters the most to me. Is it the same for you? Have the cold winter days (though they do have a charm of their own) and the days of less sunlight left you longing for new life?

This is the setting for what grabbed my attention a few weeks ago, as I pulled another verse card from my growing collection of favorite verses. 


Trust in the Lord and do good;

Dwell in the land

and cultivate faithfulness.

(Psalm 37:3 NASB)


It was the whole verse, but especially the word cultivate that drew my attention. This is what we do in early spring to prepare for the growth that spring/summer brings in our gardens. 



And I wonder the same for my heart ... how can I cultivate my heart for this new season? 

But first, what does cultivate even mean? 

"Cultivate" - (from Webster's Dictionary online)

"to direct special attention to, to devote time and thought to, 

to care for with a view to valuable returns, to till, to fertilize, 

to improve by care or study."  

And another helpful list of meanings:

"Cultivate" - (from Lara Casey's book Cultivate)

"serve, nurture, nourish, prepare, encourage,

improve, refine, pay attention, foster growth,

loosen and break up hard ground,

and care for what you've been given."

 

Isn't this what we desire for our lives? To nurture and to till up the soil of our hearts for growth? it's a continual thing, all through the varying seasons, to care for our hearts. To be in tune to listen intently to the One who loves us more than we can even imagine. It's easy to become dry and in need of nourishment.


Above all else, guard your heart,

for everything you do flows from it.

(Proverbs 4:23 NIV)


Above all else, for the condition and the health of our hearts affects everything. And this is why we need the reminders to continually cultivate our hearts. To faithfully cultivate. To cultivate faithfulness

Just how do we cultivate faithfulness? Maybe it will look different practically for you, and for me. But for all of us, it begins in the heart, doesn't it? It's a desire, a longing, to spend time with Jesus. In His Word; not just the rote reading of His Words, but reading with a longing to hear from Him. To hear His heart, to hear what is Truth. And to share our heart with Him in response. A heart that also then seeks to live out His Truth in every area of our lives.


It's a relationship, not a mere religion or a task to check off our list. A relationship that needs nurturing, time, and yes, even effort. Pausing in this busy, broken world, for what is most important. And for what we long for.

Just as each plant, flower, herb are unique, each of us are created uniquely, What does the soil of your heart need now, right now in the season of life that you are in? The soil of your heart, of your life, may need different specifics of nourishment than mine. But we all need continual tilling, and ongoing nourishment to continue producing and blooming.

Right now, I am discovering that I am needing even more frequent pauses, and needing even added nutrients to refresh the condition of the soil of my heart. We have had a lot going on recently ... offering support and encouragement to a brother in need in his Parkinsons condition, preparing our home for a needed (and wonderful) remodeling project which includes going through closets and rooms that need to be simplified and organized, and at the same time, keeping up with all that is part of the many callings and passions that God has given us, including each one in our precious family. 


Cultivate faithfulness ...

So I am needing to take extra time to tend to my heart these days and weeks. Extra needs call for extra care of the soil. Daily attention and cultivating. Focused time reading His Words, listening and learning at the start of my day, pausing in the midst of my day, and quieting my heart again with journal and pen in His Presence at the end of the day. 

Tilling up the soil of our hearts, receiving nourishment from His Word, His Love. And over time, we will see sprouts, and we will see growth. Season after season. Cultivating faithfulness. Our lives will keep on blossoming and reflecting the beauty that we were created for. By His grace and mercy alone.

 


Lord, may I be a cultivator, faithfully making it a priority to care for  my heart, for all that You place on my heart. Taking time for the things of most importance, dwelling deeply in Your Word and in Your love. Slowly, one step, one moment at a time. You are the One who brings the growth, and I offer my heart as a sacrifice, desiring to till up the soil, and to cultivate faithfulness. For You.

No comments:

Post a Comment