PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cheesy Chicken Chowder

My favorite soup recipe ... delicious Cheesy Chicken Chowder. I have been making this recipe, from a Taste of Home magazine, for quite a few years. It's quite similar to the Cheddar Chowder recipe that I also use; the main difference being that this one uses cubed chicken (or turkey), instead of cubed ham.

I made a double batch of it a few days before our recent trip to Dallas ... my husband and I enjoyed it for a few meals, I shared some with a friend still recovering from a recent surgery, and also shared some with Sara & Sean, as they were packing for their big move.

Cheesy Chicken Chowder

3 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups diced cooked chicken (or turkey)

In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; add flour and mix well. Gradually stir in milk; cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese and cook until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through.

Yield: 6-8 servings



Linked to Tasty Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. This is delicious. The boys just LOVED it too, gobbled it up! I'll have to make it sometime.

    ReplyDelete