PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Friday, January 7, 2011

Closer Than Any

(Photo Source: Dreamstime)

In a world of longing for intimacy, for close connection ... even in this New Year 2011. Our souls long to connect deeply. There are some who find this connection, and it is a treasure. And there are many more who search their whole lives for what they long for.

We are made for connection, for intimacy, for closeness with others. Made in the image of Trinity, of Three in One. And as we share in close communion with others, we find deep connection ... the sharing of our thoughts, our hearts, and our spirits.

But there is One ... One who longs to be closer than any other. 

Jesus said before His days on earth came to a close, before He returned to His Home ... "But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don't, the Advocate won't come. If I do go away, then I will send Him to you." (John 16:7)

This Advocate, this Comforter, this ever-present One ... makes His home inside of us when we come to Jesus. And this Friend is closer than any other. God makes His home in us, closer than even our deepest friendship here on earth. Inside of us, in our innermost spirit ... a Friend.

"Once we get intimate with Jesus we are never lonely and we never lack for understanding or compassion. We can continually pour out our hearts to Him without being perceived as overly emotional or pitiful." (Oswald Chambers)

In the quiet hours this morning, before even speaking with my dearest friend on earth, I spoke with this Friend within, my comforter, my helper, my source of strength and all that I long for. I am not alone. Even in times of loneliness here on this earth, we are never alone. He is with us ... closer than any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment