Summer is the perfect time for salads, and when it is a main dish salad, that is even better! This Grilled Chicken Salad recipe has been in my collection for quite a few years, and it is always such a treat to make it again. It is as delicious as it is beautiful ...
Course: Main Course
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package macaroni penne pasta or ziti (16 oz.)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups celery sliced
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh dill or 5 teaspoons dill weed
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijion mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- Leaf lettuce optional
- Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Remove from the grill and place in a single layer on a platter; sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta, red pepper, celery, onion and dill.
- Remove chicken from platter; pour juices into a bowl.
- Slice chicken widthwise into thin strips; add to pasta mixture.
- To the juices, add vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper; whisk well.
- Whisk in oil very slowly in a stream until dressing is thickened.
- Pour over salad and toss.
- Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl or on individual lettuce-lined plates.
- Yield: 6 servings.