PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

An Undivided Heart

Life is full of beginnings. Each day offers an opportunity for a new beginning, and each new season opens the door to a fresh start. And maybe for some, the start of a new school year also signals a time for new ideas, fresh beginnings. This is certainly the case for me. 

My life has always revolved around the school year. It did when we had six children growing up in our home (they are all grown now), and it continues as my husband and I work with high school and middle school students through Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ). 

The anticipation and excitement builds at the start of a new season, a new school year ... and this year is no different. I cannot believe it is time already, but next week is the week that many schools start up again here where we live.



And I wonder ... is this a time to refresh our hearts, as well? A time for a new beginning, a recharging of our heart focus.

There are so many things that pull our hearts, our attention, our focus. And maybe we need to press the "refresh" button, and recharge our heart focus. 

Teach me Your way, Lord,
that I may rely on Your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear Your Name.
(Psalm 86:11 NIV)

Could it be that this year, the school year of 2015-2016, is a year that we need to give God our undivided attention and focus even more than before? That we need to listen and follow even more closely. The changes in our culture are calling us to depend on Him more deeply, to live with more courage, and to be clear reflections of His light. And to be bearers of His love to those around us. 

As we enter this new season, may we seek intimacy and closeness with God, listening with open hearts and minds as we read His Words. May we depend on Him in deeper ways, trusting in His faithfulness, giving Him an undivided heart. Fully focused on following Him.

And are you wishing for some help in connecting with God each morning, giving Him your undivided focus at the start of each new day?

Lysa Terkeurst and her team at Proverbs 31 ministries are offering an app that will help women focus first of all on His Words first thing in the morning. Click here to read about the heart behind FIRST 5. This is a brand new app that I have been using for a week now, and I am loving it. The study of the book of John started a week ago, and it's not too late to join in. 

"Father, remind me that You are not impressed
by my accomplishments and activities.
Instead, You are after my heart ..."
(Lysa Terkeurst, First 5)


For more posts on this topic:

Linking up with Laura at Faith Filled Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment