PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, October 7, 2010

When It's Good to be Helpless

We often are taught to believe that having a sense of self-sufficiency is to be admired. But Jesus opened up His teachings we call "The Beatitudes" with these words ...

 "God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for Him, 
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs." 
(Matthew 5:3  NLT)

This idea of being helpless is another truth that I want to remember from Lesson Two of Live a Praying Life. The author, Jennifer Kennedy Dean, says, "The word for 'poor' means destitute: a beggar whose only hope is to receive from the hand of another." 

She then adds, "Your helplessness is your best prayer. It calls from your heart to the heart of God with greater effect than all your uttered pleas. ... The fact of my helplessness is the only prayer I need."

Something to think on. And it does seem that this has been true in my life. When I have been in circumstances when I have been completely helpless, and have needed God so desperately ... those were the times when His power became so evident to me. But when I come to Him with a sense of self-sufficiency, and not really needing His help at all ... I am left to flounder in my own strength.

Lord, we are Your children, created by Your hand ... and we need You, our Creator and our loving Father, so desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment