PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Highest Calling

If prayer is what God has set in place as the avenue through which His will in heaven is brought to our earth, then prayer (or intercession) should be our highest calling. It should be my highest calling today.

As I go through my day, filled with all the things that call my heart and mind, all the things that make their way to my "to do" list ... is "intercessory prayer" at the top? If prayer "is the one power on earth that commands the power of heaven", then why is true intercessory prayer often left out of our days? Why do we neglect the most important?

I am asking God to teach me more. Prayer has held a place of high priority to me, but my eyes are being opened to more. As Andrew Murray says in his book, The Ministry of Intercessory Prayer, "If we believe what we profess, that God alone is able to help, that God will certainly help in answer to prayer, all this ought to make intercessors of us. It should motivate us to be people who give their lives to prayer for those in their sphere of influence."

Is there any higher calling? To give my life in prayer for my sons and my daughters, my grandsons and granddaughters, the hundreds of students on the middle school and high school campuses, the needy all around our churches and in our neighborhoods. When concern for a loved one, or someone in our sphere of influence, grips my heart ... may I turn first to prayer.

Lord, all that we long for can only be accomplished by You ...  may my helplessness compel me to You, the source of all that is good, the source of "more than we can ask or imagine".  (Ephesians 3:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment