PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Saturday, November 20, 2021

In the Kitchen: Warm and Cozy Fall Recipes

It's a joy to be "in the kitchen" whatever the time of year, but when the cooler days of fall come, with the holidays following close behind, it's an extra special joy for me to spend time in my kitchen. And no doubt it is the same for you! Here are a few things that I've made in recent weeks ...


This meatloaf recipe has been part of my collection for so very many years; I cannot even remember where or who I got it from. A simple meatloaf recipe, but it's my husband's favorite meatloaf. The addition of Heinz 57 sauce makes it a bit more special than others, in our opinion. I hadn't made it for quite awhile, and it was a real treat to serve it for Sunday Dinner recently.


Meat Loaf

Course: Main/Beef

Ingredients

  • 1 12 pounds ground beef
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 1 cup bread crumbs, soft
  • 12 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons Heinz 57
  • 1 14 teaspoons salt
  • dash pepper

Directions

  1. Combine ingredients thoroughly. Place in a lightly greased loaf pan.
  2. Brush top with additional Heinz 57 sauce.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees oven for 1 hour.
  4. Allow meat loaf to stand 5 minutes before slicing.
  5. Servings: 6-8
  6. Note: Meat loaf may be shaped into a loaf (8x4x1 1/2) in a lightly greased shallow pan.

(This is an updated version of a previous post in 2011: to see original post, click here.)

______________________________


Apple Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Filling

We really love this moist, delicious apple cake, and enjoy it as a dessert, sometimes even topped with ice-cream! It would be good served for a special brunch, as well. It's a favorite of mine, and can be served any time of year. Warm it up slightly before serving for an extra special touch.

Click here for the recipe at "Tastes Better from Scratch".


______________________________



30-Minute Chicken Noodle Soup

A comforting, yummy, and easy soup to prepare ... my go-to chicken noodle soup recipe! It was one of the first soup recipes I made this fall. I like to have the ingredients on hand continually, and this can be quickly made. 

One of the ingredients I like to use is a homestyle egg noodle that I used to be able to purchase at Sam's. They no longer carry it, so I recently ordered more from Amazon ... click here to view, if interested. Another favorite, easy ingredient I use is shredded, or chopped, deli roast chicken. I like to purchase one or two of these roast chickens each time I go to Sam's, and then shred or chop them up to store in 2 cup bags for various future recipes, keeping them handy in the freezer.

Also, an added perk to this soup recipe is that it freezes well.

Click here for the recipe featured in a previous blog post.

______________________________


Hot Spiced Cider

Another recipe that I've prepared and served for so long that I have no idea of where I first got it from. I served it at a recent gathering in our home, and was asked for the recipe. A perfect hot drink for holiday season, and easy to prepare. It adds a warm inviting aroma to our home as it simmers on the stove.

Just put the following ingredients in a saucepan, heat, and serve!

  • 1 gallon apple cider
  • 6 sticks cinnamon
  • 8 whole cloves
  • 1/2 lemon, cut in thin slices
  • 1/4 cup honey

______________________________



Cinnamon Rolls

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

It has been far too long since I've taken time to make bread. The last time I had a bread-making day was this past March - the 12 loaves I made that day lasted us awhile, but we have sure missed it in recent weeks/months. This past week I set aside time for a bread-making day again, and am so glad that I did! We have missed this tasty, homemade bread! 

With the help of my Bosch machine, I can mix up dough for six loaves of bread at a time!  Or I can use one (or more) of the portions for a pan of cinnamon rolls, or another kind of rolls. Often, after one batch of dough is shaped and rising, I go ahead and repeat the process ... and then end up with either 12 loaves, or often with 10 loaves of bread, and two pans of rolls! This is what I did this past week. I'm so grateful for a good supply of bread in the freezer for the coming weeks (for the two of us, and also to share). It is also so great to have our favorite cinnamon rolls already made for our Family Christmas!



A few years ago we upgraded my much older Bosch machine ... it was my Christmas gift, purchased on a Black Friday sale! I love this machine, it is amazing. 


The photo above shows the dough after it has been mixed in the Bosch machine, set out on my pastry mat, and then risen for half an hour. The next step is to divide into six portions ... five for bread, and one to be rolled out for the cinnamon rolls.

Click here for the Cinnamon Roll recipe shared on my blog back in 2010! And click here for the Honey Whole Wheat Bread recipe shared in 2020. 

(I also have an older Whisper Mill, and use freshly ground wheat flour to use in my bread recipe, which makes it extra tasty.)

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading this post! Going to try ALL these recipes-Especially the 30-Minute Chicken Noodle Soup on these ‘ch-chilly’ days.. Enjoyed that Apple Cider @ your home last Sunday @ our CityGroup. I’ve got a favorite meatloaf recipe -I make all the time -Want to try this one for a change. Thank you for sharing friend!!

    ReplyDelete