It's a joy to be "in the kitchen" whatever the time of year, but when the cooler days of fall come, with the holidays following close behind, it's an extra special joy for me to spend time in my kitchen. And no doubt it is the same for you! Here are a few things that I've made in recent weeks ...
This meatloaf recipe has been part of my collection for so very many years; I cannot even remember where or who I got it from. A simple meatloaf recipe, but it's my husband's favorite meatloaf. The addition of Heinz 57 sauce makes it a bit more special than others, in our opinion. I hadn't made it for quite awhile, and it was a real treat to serve it for Sunday Dinner recently.
- 1 1⁄2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs, soft
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Heinz 57
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- dash pepper
- Combine ingredients thoroughly. Place in a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Brush top with additional Heinz 57 sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees oven for 1 hour.
- Allow meat loaf to stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Servings: 6-8
- Note: Meat loaf may be shaped into a loaf (8x4x1 1/2) in a lightly greased shallow pan.
We really love this moist, delicious apple cake, and enjoy it as a dessert, sometimes even topped with ice-cream! It would be good served for a special brunch, as well. It's a favorite of mine, and can be served any time of year. Warm it up slightly before serving for an extra special touch.
Click here for the recipe at "Tastes Better from Scratch".
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 6 sticks cinnamon
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 lemon, cut in thin slices
- 1/4 cup honey