PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Word of the Year: Be Still



Do you pick a "Word of the Year" 
for each new year?

I have done so for quite a few years in a row now. It must be part of who I am after numerous years of doing so, and quite unexpectedly another word has settled into my heart and mind in the past few days. 

It's not a new word for me, as I saw it often as I took some time to read back over my journal from recent months. This word grabbed my heart all over again. And I know ... it's my new word to hold close during the coming year 2020.

Be still ... has so much meaning for me, and even brings up tears in my eyes. Maybe it's because life is so full, and the days tend to go by so fast. And I can get caught up so easily in being so focused on everything that I sometimes let the most important slip through my hands. 

These words from my journal that I wrote one day this past year are so true ...

To be still is to receive.
To faithfully pause, to soak up His love and His Grace.
The soaking up, the receiving, is what brings growth.
To still our souls is to open the door to receive.
To be what we were created to be.
To grow into something beautiful.
By His power alone.
Becoming beautiful and fruitful. For Him.

"Be still and know that I am God."
(Psalm 46:10 ESV)

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him."
(Psalm 37:7 NIV)

"Let all that I am wait quietly before God ..."
(Psalm 62:5a NLT)

"In quietness and trust is your strength."
(Isaiah 30:15 NIV)

"You're my place of quiet retreat; 
I wait for Your Word to renew me."
(Psalm 119:114 MSG)

"Wait patiently for the Lord.
Be brave and courageous.
Yes, wait patiently for the Lord."
(Psalm 27:14 NLT)


Lord, may I faithfully choose to pause my busyness, to quiet my heart, to be still. So that I can hear Your heart as I read Your Words, as I go about my days, as I live each moment. And may Your love and presence overflow out of my heart to bless those around me. For Your glory and Your purposes alone.



I plan to start out this new year with continuing to read through my Chronological Bible, and also these first few months to use the beautiful and inspiring Beholding and Becoming book (and A Guided Companion) by Ruth Chou Simons. 

And watch for more posts sharing added insight into my Word of the Year: Be Still, and how it relates to additional areas of our lives, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment