I find many (most?) of the recipes that we use, from Taste of Home magazines, and have subscribed to their magazines for years. This is another one that I clipped from a recent magazine. We tried it earlier this month - it was so very good! It will be kept with my favorite recipes to use in future weeks/months.
Course: Main Course
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can pinto beans (15 oz) rinsed and drained (optional)
- 4 1/2 cups corn chips
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded (6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup tomatoes chopped
- 6 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- sour cream optional
- cilantro option
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the chili powder, flour, salt and garlic powder until blended; gradually stir in water.
- Add beans, if desired. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, divide chips among six serving bowls.
- Top with beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and onion; garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.