PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Creamy Meatballs over Mashed Potatoes


Creamy Meatballs over Mashed Potatoes ... one of my favorite menus! When I was thinking through my Christmas Dinner menu a few months ago, I had a desire to add another main dish to our traditional ham and mashed potatoes that we usually have for Christmas. Somehow, this recipe for Creamy Meatballs came to my mind. I had not made it for quite some time, and thought it would go great with the spiral-sliced ham and mashed potatoes that were already on my Christmas menu.

We all enjoyed it so much ... we may have a new tradition for Christmas Dinner! It is definitely one of my favorites.

I knew, though, that I needed to prepare this ahead of time. I tried it out ahead of time, and found out that it freezes very well. Perfect! I multiplied this recipe for our big family of 24 who would be here over the holidays, froze it after cooking, and then thawed and reheated it in my slow cooker for our dinner together. I chose to add some extra cream of mushroom soup and evaporated milk when reheating it ... making it even better than the original recipe (see my notes within the recipe directions below). This recipe works so well with my mashed potato recipe that can be made a few days ahead of serving, as well ... Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes.



Creamy Meatballs over Mashed Potatoes




Course: Main/Beef
Serves:
Ingredients
  • 1 12 lb ground beef
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 12 cups soft bread crumbs
  • 12 onion chopped
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 12 tsp salt
  • 1 12 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can evaporated milk
Directions
  1. Mix first 7 ingredients. Fry in small balls till brown; drain off fat.
  2. Mix together 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of evaporated milk,
  3. and add to meatballs.
  4. Simmer for 15 minutes.
  5. Serve over mashed potatoes.
  6. Note: This recipe can be prepared ahead of time, and then frozen.
  7. At the time of serving, thaw ... and then heat up in slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours.
  8. For creamier meatballs, I add an extra can of cream of mushroom soup and also of evaporated milk when doubling the recipe. (You can also add half a can of each for a single recipe.) Add before heating up in slow cooker.
Powered by
Plan To Eat








No comments:

Post a Comment