PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Quieting My Heart: Our Most Essential Work



What is it in our lives,
in our daily work,
in the things that we give
our time and our best efforts to ...
what is of most significance?

Surely there is a long list
of what we focus on,
and spend our best time on.
Things that we consider
essential, important.

And along with my list of things,
is prayer, talking with God.
For it is of great importance,
and all I do needs to be
covered in prayer. 
Of course.

But what if the praying - 
the bringing of my daily tasks,
my deepest longings,
my highest goals and desires ...
what if the talking with Him
about everything -
what if this is my most critical work?

What if entering into His heart
for the world, for those I love,
and all He longs to do,
becomes my highest goal?

"Our Lord put all the emphasis on prayer,
and He made prayer
not preparation for the work,
not a sentiment nor a devotion,
but the work."
(Oswald Chambers)

Lord, if we are looking for the significant,
may we keep our best efforts for the best work.
And then we will see You -
"through Your mighty power at work within us,
accomplish infinitely more than 
we might ask or think."
(Ephesians 4:20)



No comments:

Post a Comment