PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Friday, November 11, 2011

Unexpected Living


Could it be that we are to thrive in living with the "unexpected"? That we are actually to expect the "unexpected"? Being someone who loves to plan and look forward with anticipation to the working out of the things planned, embracing the "unexpected" has sometimes been difficult for me.

I have found that life is primarily filled with those things that are unexpected. Difficult things that come into our lives, as well as things that are beyond our dreams. Such as our recent trip to Italy (photo above) which was totally unexpected until five weeks before our trip this past September. And things such as leukemia, a life-threatening accident, bone marrow transplant, other serious health issues - all unexpected things in our family.

These are unexpected paths that draw us closer to His heart. And there are unexpected blessings along these paths.

I read these words this past week, "After sanctification, it is difficult to state what your purpose in life is, because God has moved you into His purpose, through the Holy Spirit. He is using you now for His purposes ... I must learn that the purpose of my life belongs to God, not me. God is using me from His great, personal perspective, and all He asks of me is that I trust Him." (My Utmost for His Highest)

Unexpected living is to be the norm for us.

Linking up with Five Minute Friday


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder - and for the quote from one of my favorite authors! You're so right - the unexpected has a way of drawing us toward God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For someone who is a little bit of a control freak, I can totally understand what you are talking about! Isn't it wonderful how against your personality it is (i.e. the unexpected), but how important it is for leading us (back?) to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the unexpected is one of the hardest things I deal with. But I'm so thankful to know the One to whom nothing is unexpected. More faith, Lord!

    ReplyDelete