PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Friday, February 11, 2011

Eucharisteo

Sometimes one comes across a new thought, a word, a new idea ... that all of a sudden brings light to one's understanding. This is what happened for me while reading Chapter 2 of One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are.


Eucharisteo ... a Greek word meaning "giving thanks". And within this word are deeper meanings. The root word for eucharisteo is charis, meaning "gift", or "grace". Charis also forms the root of the Greek word, chara, meaning "joy". And this word,  Joy ... what we all search for. 

These three meanings in the same word: Grace, Thanksgiving, Joy.

As I accept all that God gives me, all He allows in my life, as grace, a gift ... accept it with a thankful heart ... the result will be what our hearts long for ... JOY!  Eucharisteo ... one word wrapping it all up together. Each one essential to the other, and altogether they are what we are made for. 



It's like the missing piece that adds depth to what I've known. I have known that thanksgiving is to be a big part of my life as a follower of Christ. And I have learned to know that I am to accept all of life, the hard things as well as the good. To embrace them all, for God uses them for our good.

And now ... I need to think on this deeper meaning, these meanings from this word Eucharisteo. How accepting everything as a grace gift to us, with thanks, and how the result of doing this is what we all long for ... JOY. I am going to be on a hunt for these words in the days and weeks ahead ... and I already can see that they are sprinkled throughout all of Scripture ...

Even in the words of Colossians 1:11-12, the two verses from Colossians that I am memorizing this week ...

"We also pray that you will be strengthened with all His glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to His people, who live in the light."

Our Joy in life is related to our Thanks, which is related to accepting all that God gives as a gift of Grace.

I must think on this ... and let it wash over and over my heart. I want this word eucharisteo to sink deep and do it's work.

My thanks to Ann Voskamp for her thoughts, for the sharing of her search for joy in the midst of great pain, and for listening to God's Spirit within her, giving her wisdom and knowledge to share with a world hungry for joy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment