PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Our View of God

I have just started reading a new book that is already capturing my attention from the very first chapter. It takes me awhile to read a book, because I am compelled to stop and think through what I have read, and process it in my heart and mind before I can go on to the next chapter. Crazy Love by Francis Chan will certainly be one that will take me awhile to read ... so much truth, and so much to process. I've had this book sitting around for awhile, and finally am getting to it. And it seems to be the perfect time to read it.

The author says, "This book is written for those who want more Jesus." For those who don't want to just settle into the status quo. The author suggests that the reason we as Christians are not making more of an impact on our world, and the reason that churches are, as a rule, not very healthy ... is because we do not have an accurate view of God.

How often do we pause in our busyness and activity, to really take time to gaze at God, to learn more of who He is? We are quick to speak to Him when we are in trouble and need help, but when was the last time that we paused our activity to let the truths of His power and character just soak into our soul?

I am reading the first chapter of this book at the perfect time. We are here in a log cabin nestled in the midst of the Rocky Mountains near Estes Park. We have one free day here at my brother and sister-in-law's cabin before we join other Student Venture staff at the YMCA of the Rockies to help prepare for the arrival of 600 students on Tuesday for the SV Getaway conference.

Everywhere I look through the big picture windows of the cabin, I see evidence of God. And from the book, I read of some of the intricate details of God's creative work:

"Did you know that a caterpillar has 228 separate and distinct muscles in its head? How about the way plants defy gravity by drawing water upward from the ground into their stems and veins? Or did you know that spiders produce three kinds of silk? When they build their webs, they create sixty feet of silk in one hour, simultaneously producing special oil on their feet that prevents them from sticking to their own web."

How can we even fathom the intricacy of our world, and how can we even begin to wrap our minds around such a majestic God who called creation into existence? We are one of His creations, and our response can only be to praise and honor this great God who brought all of this into existence.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."
(Psalm 19:1-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment