PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Friday, September 15, 2017

Quieting My Heart: Our Words



Words,
just one word, or a few words,
or a whole lot of words - 
they make a huge impact.
They can make someone’s day,
or they can ruin the day.

Do we stop to realize
the power of words?
And do we stop -
think, and pray,
before we speak words?

Some say that I have 
a gentle, quiet spirit.
But I find that it is most often
my words
that cause me the most 
shame and regret.

How do we tame our tongue,
and how do we
s-l-o-w it down,
and how do we 
speak only those words
that edify and build up,
that instill love and hope
in others.

In this noisy, quick-speaking world,
may we learn to quiet our hearts,
asking God to control our every word.

“You must all be quick to listen,
slow to speak,
and slow to get angry.”
(James 1:19)

Lord, please fill us with Your Spirit,
with Your thoughts, Your words -
that we will only speak what is
“helpful for building others up
according to their needs,
that it may benefit those who listen.”
(Ephesians 4:29)


(Photo - of our peach tree 2017)

1 comment: