PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Friday, December 17, 2010

A New Name

Forty years ago this Christmas Eve, I said "yes" to taking on a new name ... and eight months later, on August 14, 1971, I took on this new name

(Photo Source: Dreamstime)

Since then, I have used this new name of Warrick. There is never a question, whether I sign in at a doctor's office, sign my name to a check, receive mail in my name ... never a question. Warrick is my name, and I am entitled to all that comes with bearing that name.

Reading in Live a Praying Life this morning, it takes my breath away to contemplate all that it means to take on the name of Jesus. We are taught to use this name, this name Jesus, when we come to God. Now we can approach God in Jesus' name, and we are seen by God through Jesus.

Walking into the doctor's office, the post office, wherever I go ... I am seen and I have the privilege and authority to function with the name I took on nearly 40 years ago.

And approaching the holy, creator God through prayer (as we are taught by Him that is our privilege), I do not come as a stranger, but I come as one bearing the name of Jesus. He is our Bridegroom, and we bear His Name.

"The Heavenly Bridegroom could do nothing less; having loved us and made us one with Himself, what could He do but give those who bear His Name the right to present it before the Father, or to come with it to Himself for all they need ... The bearing of the name of another supposes my having given up my own and with it my own independent life; but then, as surely, my possession of all there is in the name I have taken instead of my own." (Andrew Murray, With Christ in the School of Prayer)

Loving God, how can we be so privileged, how can we be so blessed? This Jesus, whose birthday we celebrate this month, has given us His name. And with His Name, we have access to all that You desire to shower on us. May I live this and embrace this each day ...


Linked to Faith Barista

3 comments:

  1. "the privilege and authority to function in that name" - This is the sweetest thing I've read. I smiled a huge smile. I have an earthly last name and a heavenly name - what a privileged blessing and honor. Thank You so much for this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, congratulations on 40 years of marriage! That is so wonderful and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cherry,

    I wanted to come and thank you for adding this post into the Faith Barsita jam last week. It has really touched me, as I prepare to enter into the new year -- and this Christmas week. How can I enter into this wonderful name He's given me?...

    Wonderful to meet you & I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    Blessings,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete