I love this tasty, and also beautiful appetizer dish! It was a new recipe that I tried a year ago, and has become one of my favorites to make. It has the added plus of being a make-ahead dish. This is always important to me when preparing for the holidays, or really, for any special day.
With two dozen much-loved family members here at our home for our Family Christmas on Dec. 28, I love to do as much as possible ahead of time. It leaves more time to relax, and enjoy being together with those I love! This appetizer dish freezes well, and just needs to be heated up in the oven on serving day.
This year, I made enough for a very special CityGroup Christmas Party that we had last night, and also have enough already made in the freezer for our Family Christmas next week. I sure love delicious make-ahead recipes, and especially one that is as good as this one.
It's quite an easy process ... after cubing the chicken, coat with a mixture of seasonings, mixing together well. Wrap each piece of chicken with a bacon piece, secure with a toothpick, and then lay on the parchment covered baking pan. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven to brush with barbecue sauce, and bake about 5-10 minutes more.
Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Bites
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into one inch pieces.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices bacon cut into thirds
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken pieces in a medium-sized bowl; sprinkle with the chili powder, seasoned salt, paprika, garlic powder which have been mixed together; then toss to coat the chicken.
- Wrap a bacon piece around each chicken cube, and secure with a toothpick.
- Place single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle bacon-wrapped chicken with brown sugar.
- Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, brush wrapped chicken pieces with BBQ sauce.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink and bacon is crisp.
- NOTE: This is a great appetizer to make ahead and freeze! Freeze in a single layer, then place in an airtight container to put back in the freezer. When using, thaw in the refrigerator, then heat up in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until heated through. (It may work well to bake straight from the freezer, but for a longer time, as well; I just have not tried this method out yet.)