PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Baked Ham with Orange Glaze


Our traditional main dish for Thanksgiving is usually turkey, and for Christmas it is usually ham. But this year, I had the idea to serve both turkey and ham for Thanksgiving Day! With our whole family home - 22 around our tables - I figured that having both would be a fun thing to do!

I found a new recipe to use for the ham ...

Print Recipe

Baked Ham with Orange Glaze


Course: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
Total Time: 2 hr
Serves: 15

Ingredients

  • 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (6 to 7 pounds)
  • 2 cups apple cider or unsweetened juice
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 13 cup orange marmalade
  • 14 cup packed brown sugar
  • 14 cup Dijon mustard
  • 14 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

  1. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Score the surface of the ham, making diamond shapes 1/4 in. deep. Add cider and orange juice to pan. Loosely cover ham with foil; bake at 325° for 1 hour. Combine remaining ingredients; brush some over ham.
  2. Bake, uncovered, 45-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°, brushing occasionally with glaze. Serve with remaining glaze. Yield: 15 servings.
  3. MY NOTE: THANKSGIVING 2015 - I prepared just the ham itself in oven bag the day before Thanksgiving, then cut into slices and put in slow cooker adding the juice, and glaze topping. Refrigerate overnight. On Thanksgiving Day cooked in slow cooker (alternate high/low) for about 3 hours.

Powered by
Plan To Eat



I purchased a spiral-sliced ham (about 12#), and though my oven is a convection oven with multiple racks, I knew that there would be a problem with oven space on Thanksgiving morning. 

Putting a few ideas together, I came up with a plan that worked well. I baked the ham for about an hour in an oven bag (to keep it moist) the day before Thanksgiving. I then sliced it and put the slices in a slow cooker, adding the juices, and also adding the glaze on some of the layers of the ham slices, then refrigerating it for night. The next morning I heated the ham up for about 3 hours in the slow cooker ... it turned out moist and delicious for our Thanksgiving Dinner, and freed up my oven for the turkey and other hot dishes! A great idea to use for Christmas Day, as well, if serving ham. 

What will you be serving for Christmas Dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment