PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Monday, September 28, 2015

Count the Ways


Today is a day of counting for me ... a day where I add another number to my years. Birthdays are for counting. The numbers are increasing; there is no way to stop them, or even to slow them down.

And on this day of counting, 
I'm thinking of another type of counting ... 

What if we were to count the ways that we are loved? Would there ever be an end? My few short years on this earth, years that fly by faster and faster with each passing year, are only the beginnings of being loved.

How can we even begin to understand how much God loves us? Just when I think that maybe I am beginning to haves a grasp of His Love, I find myself in a place where I am learning all over again. Learning in deeper ways than ever before, how very much I am loved.  

We are loved. Period. We are His creation; His image-bearers. And all through our lives, we are pursued by this God who is Love.

"God pursues human beings ...
We see God walking in the garden with Adam and Eve.
We hear God speaking to Moses on a mountaintop.
We find His mysterious presence in the tabernacle and the temple.
When we come to the New Testament, we read about
the birth of Jesus - Immanuel,
a title that means 'God with us' ...
Later, He sends His Holy Spirit
to actually live inside of His people."
(Francis & Lisa Chan, You and Me Forever)

At this birthday time, instead of counting the years, 
I will spend my days counting the ways that He loves.

"I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources
He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit.
Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him.
Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.
And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should,
how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is.
May you experience the love of Christ,
though it is too great to understand fully.
Then you will be made complete
with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."
(Ephesians 3:16-19)

"Open your mind and heart -
your entire being -
to receive My love in full measure."

Loving Lord, this is my prayer as I begin another year ... that I will daily count the ways that You love me. Your Love is without end! And by Your grace and mercy, I will learn more deeply the art of receiving this Love. 

For more posts on this topic:
FIRST LOVE: What We are Made For

2 comments:

  1. Dear Cherry, Happy Birthday!! We are not good at sending cards as we are so busy, yet recently I remembered your b-day was coming up. :) Sorry I missed it, or am a day late. I pray you have a blessed week soaking up all the ways He loves you. I am praying this for me, too. I LOVE your post. So glad I took a moment to read it. You might be really blessed by this other post I read earlier with a similar concept, about receiving all the grace He wants to give us. Here it is if you would like:
    http://titus24u.blogspot.com/2015/09/its-gift-grace-project.html
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words, Amber, and thanks for coming over to read my post! I need to go and read your blog, too. And thanks for the recommendation of another post to read, as well. It is so incredible that God has so much love and grace available to us ... and I'm wanting to open wide my heart and my mind to receive. Praying the same for you, dear friend.

      Delete