PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

In the Kitchen


After a full summer, and also after being gone from home for two weeks in July, it was time the beginning of this month to stock my pantry again. So the first full week of August was filled with several grocery shopping trips with my stock-up-page list of items to purchase in hand. First stop was Aldi (the first time I have taken time to go there in quite a few months), then Sam's, and then several local grocery chain stores to fill in with the rest of the items (this month it was Family Fare, and WalMart - sometimes it is HyVee).

Meal prep goes so much better when I have a fully stocked pantry; a great encouragement to be more consistent with my cooking!

Sharing a few fun little things from my kitchen these past few weeks:


Yesterday I found room in our refrigerator for these freshly-picked garden veggies! More than we can eat, of course, and we've been sharing with our family who live nearby.


Summer lunches are so easy when there are fresh veggies in the house. This was yesterday's lunch, and one that we have fairly often. Chicken Wraps, using heated up chicken strips from the freezer, along with salad greens, tomatoes, and cheese. Add whatever else you would like for a quick and easy lunch.



This next recipe is a good one to use for a quick breakfast, and was on a recipe card that I had tucked away years ago. I pulled it out recently, and used it not just once, but on several mornings. 

Egg Cup Scramble - scrambled eggs for one, prepared in the microwave. Fast, easy, and a good source of protein first thing in the morning. 

The recipe is simple: just 3 ingredients, the number "2" for the amount of each ingredient, and 2 sets of 45 seconds for microwaving the dish. 

Spray some oil in a coffee cup, or a small dish ... put in 2 eggs, and 2 tablespoons of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a fork. Place in the microwave for about 45 seconds; remove and stir again with fork. Microwave again for about 45 seconds. Top with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese. 

And enjoy, along with a muffin and some yoghurt (or your choice of other breakfast food).


It was also time earlier this month to replenish my bags of grated walnuts and pecans. I like to buy walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc., at Sam's in larger size bags; they are less expensive that way. Then periodically I grate up a bag of each to keep in the refrigerator, ready to use for recipes. 


Once in awhile I actually get around to making something that I have pinned on Pinterest! Here is a fun little pudding snack treat that I made this month for four of our grandkids when they were here for an overnighter. Click here for the recipe for Banana Split Parfait Jars! They were yummy, and the kids loved them. I ended up drizzling chocolate on all four of them, of course - though they were so pretty to take a photo of without the chocolate, too.  

What has been happening in your kitchen in recent weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment