PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Monday, October 14, 2013

True Joy {First Love}


"Remember that Joy is not dependent on your circumstances ..
True Joy is a by-product of living in My Presence."
(Jesus Calling)


At the end of one week, and the beginning of another - I am being reminded. What is the source of true, lasting Joy? Is it family? Or times of vacation, or a few moments or hours pursuing a passion or a favorite hobby? Or enjoying intimate conversation around the table?

All these can surely bring happiness and joy, but sometimes we get our vision mixed up and think that True Joy depends on these favorable circumstances. And then we easily find ourselves beginning to cling to these things in order to have Joy. 

And by God's grace, we are reminded. Where True Joy comes from.

"In Your Presence is fullness of Joy."
(from Psalm 16:11 NASB)

The kind of Joy that flows from the deepest place within us - from Him. The kind of Joy that does not depend on circumstances, but that depends on a Person. The kind of Joy that bubbles up, and cannot be contained. The Joy that will never leave us, for He is always with us.

"I have told you these things,
so that you will be filled with My Joy.
Yes, your joy will overflow."
(John 15:11)

Thanking Him for His many gifts this past week - family, the warmth of candles burning in my kitchen on these beautiful fall days, His life-giving Words as I read and write my way through Romans, a big grocery shopping trip stocking my pantry shelves, our Devo Outing at Lake Cunningham, preparing some breakfast freezer meals, connecting with volunteers and students at the Cru Central meeting, watching two four year-old grandsons at a soccer game, a grandson turning 11 on the 11th, a sweet visit from a son, fun learning how to create digital scrapbook templates in Photoshop Elements, and experiencing some disappointments during the week that God used to remind me of where True Joy comes from - Joy that does not depend on our circumstances, Joy that fills us up, and overflows. 


Praying for this True Joy for you today, and through this coming week ... 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Cherry. So glad you stopped by, and so glad I stopped by your gorgeous blog. I would have been around sooner but we're on the road and it's been a busy day today.

    There is nothing to compare to the joy that comes whenever we are filled to the brim with the Holy Spirit. No circumtsance can dampen that kind of joy. I'm so grateful that nobody can steal my joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, Dayle - yes, so grateful for real Joy that cannot be taken away. So amazed at this gift ... Enjoy your travels!

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful reminder. It was very timely...thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Jenni - I continually need to be reminded of this ...

      Delete