PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes are a treat to have, and I don't make them very often throughout the year. But I do make them most every holiday meal - Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Especially after I came across this amazing recipe years ago, which allows me to prepare the mashed potato dish a day or two in advance, and then bake it the day of our big meal together.

We are a family of 22 now - with six grown kids, four sons-in-law, and ten grandkids. Plus, we usually also are blessed to have my father, and also my husband's brother join us for the holidays - which means that we are often about 2 dozen around the table now! This dish is so wonderful, not only because it is delicious, but because I can prepare it ahead of time. Which is quite necessary to do when feeding two dozen family members for a festive meal.

Here is a photo of our recent Thanksgiving feast, which we enjoyed together with 23 family members!


Lots of delicious food here (some brought by our daughters!) - and I'll be sharing the recipe for the Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes in this post. Of course, you can also make it the day of your dinner, but it always works good for me to prepare it ahead of time.

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

10# potatoes, peeled and cut in small pieces
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups milk, heated to lukewarm


Fill pot of potatoes part way with water; cover and cook until tender. Drain.


Mash potatoes, using part (about 1/4th or less) of the butter, and part of the milk to make a good consistency.


Combine remaining butter and milk in saucepan with cheese and salt; cook until smooth.


Stir into potatoes; then fold in eggs. (Add additional salt to taste, if desired.)


Pour into a greased large white casserole dish. (Also use an extra dish, if needed.)


(Bake right away, or refrigerate for 1-2 days and bake later.)

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees until puffy and golden brown, about 50 minutes or more.
(I always stir once or twice during the baking time - and then spoon into a serving bowl when done.)

Make-ahead (optional): Cover & refrigerate for 1-2 days. On day of baking, allow to stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before baking. And then bake as directed.

Yield: about 20 servings

(Credit: the original recipe came from Taste of Home, but I have adjusted it over the years and do not have access to the original one anymore.)

Linking up with:
Melt in Your Mouth Mondays
Tasty Tuesday
Trick or Treat Tuesday
I'm Lovin' It

1 comment:

  1. I always miss those big family gatherings ... we are often just the four of us.

    This recipe looks delicious and easy.


    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete