PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, April 26, 2018

My Favorite Dinner Roll Recipe: Dilly Rolls


My mother was known for her excellent dinner rolls, pies, and other baked goods. I've tried her recipes for dinner rolls over the years and also other recipes I have found, but somehow, never quite acquired her touch with dinner rolls. That is, until I tried this recipe. This Dilly Rolls recipe, shared by a friend (thanks, Vicki!), turns out amazing every time I make it.

The cottage cheese, the onion, and the dill weed make for a very tasty dinner roll, and it is my current favorite dinner roll recipe. It also freezes well, which is a huge factor to make it a winner for me. I made several batches of this recipe for our big Family Christmas, and then made it again for an event this spring. I always make more than one recipe at a time, and store the extras in the freezer, ready to pull out when needed.


Click on the "Source: tasteofhome.com" link (below) to print.


Dilly Rolls



Source: tasteofhome.com
Course: Breads/Rolls
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 45 min
Serves:
Ingredients
  • 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp per pkg of yeast)
  • 12 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 2 eggs
  • 14 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
  • 1-2 tablespoons dill weed
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 12 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4-12 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook cottage cheese and butter until butter is melted. Cool to 110° to 115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add eggs, sugar, onion, dill, salt, baking soda and cottage cheese mixture. Add 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Form into 24 balls; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
  4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Yield: 2 dozen.
Powered by
Plan To Eat

After the first rising of the dough ...

And after the second rising of the dough ...

For faster risings, I often place bread dough, or dinner roll dough in a very slightly warmed-up oven (turning the oven off and closing the door). That's what I did for both of the risings (above). 


Each pan (one recipe) provides 24 dinner rolls! I doubled it recently, making 48 dinner rolls, enough for our special event, and extra for the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment