A brand new cupcake recipe for me - and definitely, a keeper! These marshmallow-filled cupcakes are so very delicious!
I saved this recipe from a Taste of Home magazine awhile ago, and it was time to try it out earlier this spring. These cupcakes almost melt in your mouth; these are one of my favorite recipes for cupcakes, for sure. The marshmallow-creme filling is such a sweet surprise when you take a bite.
The recipe itself was quite easy. A little extra work to cut out the circle to fill, but it turned out much easier than I anticipated. That filling ... oh, so good!
Click on the "Source: tasteofhome.com" link (below) to print the recipe.
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr
Yield: 18 servings
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1-1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1-1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.