PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

One Word 2016


A New Year, and a new word. I have been choosing a "word of the year" for a number of years now. Maybe since I started blogging in 2010? Or maybe it was January of 2011, the beginning of my first full year of blogging.

My "word of the year" has remained the same for all these years since then. I have not been able to leave the word "listen". And I still cannot leave this word, for there is still so much I need to learn about really listening deeply to God, and to others. It is not my default to listen; and I am asking God to teach me more about truly having a heart to listen. 

But this year, I am choosing a new word for my "word of the year"!

FAITH - a common, well-known word to me, 
but what does it really mean to have faith
And how can I grow in faith this coming year?

In Matthew 17 Jesus rebuked His disciples for their lack of faith. And maybe He would do the same for me. How many times do I hold back because of a lack of faith? How many times do I hesitate with a prayer, or an action, because I don't think I have enough faith?

But FAITH is not based on our feelings or on how much faith we have;
our FAITH is based on the trustworthiness of the object of our faith.

Jesus says that we only need as much faith as a mustard seed; a small amount. What is important is the trustworthiness of who we put our faith in.

Our faith does not come from our own efforts to have faith; our faith comes from learning more and more about the object of our faith. Our faith is not based on how much confidence we may possess, or how bold we may feel in our prayers or our actions. Our faith is not based on our faith, but based on who God is.

"Do you respond to God's invitations in your life waiting to feel self-confident and affirmed? Is your faith based on who you are, how faithful you have been or could be?
Or is it anchored in the presence of God and His profoundly sufficient character? Yes, who we are isn't nearly as important as who He is."  (Whitney Capps)

I am asking God to grow my faith; that I will grow in my trust in HIM. More faith in Him as I pray, more faith in Him in the things I do. More faith in Him for whatever He desires.

Lord, increase my faith. In You.



Linking up with Bonnie, at Faith Barista:














No comments:

Post a Comment