It's always fun to try out a new recipe, and when that recipe turns into a "keeper", it is even more fun. Such was the case with this refreshing fruit salad that I tried for the first time over Easter weekend.
A light, delicious salad for springtime - I will be making this many times in the future, I am sure. The fruit is set in a fruit juice/soda mixture in the refrigerator for several hours before serving. This makes it easy to prepare ahead of time for special meals. I found that it worked best to drain a good portion of the juice before serving, saving some to add back to any of the salad that may be left over after the meal. Using a slotted spoon to serve also is helpful, as the directions suggest.
- 1 can pineapple chunks (or tidbits) (20 oz) drained
- 1 can mandarin oranges (11 oz) drained
- 1 cup fresh strawberries halved
- 1 cup green grapes halved
- 1 cup white wine or white grape juice
- 1/2 cup club soda chilled
- In a large serving bowl, combine the pineapple, oranges, strawberries, and grapes. Combine wine or grape juice and club soda; pour over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours; stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Note: Using other juices (instead of wine or white grape juice) works well, too. I have used apple juice, as that is what I had on hand at the time.