PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Ham and Vegetable Soup


Soups are a mainstay in my menus during the fall and winter months. And most of the time, you'll find a soup recipe on the menu for a Monday evening. It makes for easier menu planning to have a routine for certain days of the week. And for Mondays, it's soups for supper!

I love cooking a big pot of soup for supper at the beginning of the week. It's great to serve it for supper that day, and then to have more servings throughout the week for a few lunches, or maybe even for another main meal.

This recipe has been in my collection for many years. This year I made it with the ham bones that I had put in the freezer from our Christmas Dinner main dish of spiral-sliced ham. I left an ample amount of ham on the bones, making it great to use for this recipe.

It's the middle of March now, and I'm still going through my soup recipe collection! I've collected quite a few! I'll probably keep on for a month or so, up until Easter on April 21 this year. 

To print the recipe, click on the "Source: tasteofhome.com" link below the photo ...


Ham and Vegetable Soup


Source: tasteofhome.com
Course: Main Soup
Serves:
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
  • 4 medium carrots sliced
  • 1 cup celery thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 8 cups water
  • 2-12 cups red potatoes unpeeled, diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn 
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen cut green beans
  • 1 can condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted (11-1/2 ounces)
  • 14 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Place ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat starts to all off the bones.
  2. Add potatoes and vegetables; bring to a boil oil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove hocks; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; discard bones. Return meat to kettle. Stir in bean and bacon soup and pepper; heat through.
  3. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Powered by
Plan To Eat


NOTE: This is an updated post from the original, published in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment