I've shared this main dish recipe before on my blog (click here), but thought it would be fun to post it again, together with the menu I chose for a recent Family Meal here at our home. It was a joy to have most of our family who lives nearby over for a Saturday lunch at the end of February.
Italian Spaghetti Bake
Fresh Salad and Dressings
Cheese Garlic Bread
Strawberry Cream Dessert
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Italian Spaghetti Bake
This recipe for Italian Spaghetti Bake makes two 9x13 pans, perfect for our meal together ...
To print the recipe, click on the "Source" link below.
- 2 packages spaghetti one 16 ounce, one 8 ounce package
- 1-1⁄2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cans tomato sauce 15 ounces each
- 1 package sliced pepperoni 8 ounces
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces 8 ounces, drained
- 1 can ripe olives, sliced 3.8 ounces, drained OPT
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese 16 ounces, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese grated
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and seasonings. Drain spaghetti.
- Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer with spaghetti and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- Combine the melted butter and the Parmesan cheese.
- Spread on both sides of 12 1-inch slices of French bread.
- Sprinkle bread on both sides with garlic powder.
- Place on baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes, turning once.
- NOTE: I double this recipe for a long loaf of French bread from the bakery - it yields about 24-30 slices.