PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Amish Breakfast Casserole



I love breakfast food recipes, but don't often choose to take the time to prepare a recipe in the morning. But breakfast food works for any meal of the day, really. And recently I tried out this new breakfast casserole recipe for lunch. And then, as there are just the two of us now in our home, there was plenty left to enjoy for breakfast for a few mornings!

This recipe has been on my list to try for quite awhile, like maybe a few years? A sweet daughter served this to us several years ago when we visited, and I had to ask her for the recipe, of course. It was so good, and I was not disappointed when I made it for the first time myself recently. I don't know why I waited several years to try this delicious breakfast casserole recipe.

Print Recipe

Amish Breakfast Casserole


Course: Breakfast
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 50 min
Serves: 12

Ingredients

  • 1 pound sliced bacon diced
  • 1 medium sweet onion chopped
  • 6 eggs lightly beaten
  • 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 12 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
  • 1 14 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.

  2. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.

Powered by
Plan To Eat




It takes a little time to prepare this recipe, as it involves frying an entire package of bacon (diced). If I were to prepare it for a special breakfast, I would choose to fry the bacon the day before, and have it ready in the refrigerator together with the shredded cheeses. Then it would take just a quick few minutes to mix everything together. 

But, of course, frying the bacon in the morning would fill your home with the aroma of a delicious breakfast on its way to the table.

Thanks, Cristy, for introducing me to this recipe - we loved it at your home, and it was such a treat to have it again here at our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment