PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Monday, September 9, 2013

September Beginnings


September started out in full motion with two little four-year-old grandsons staying with us for a few days and nights. It was a sweet, relaxing, and busy time in the yard and in the sand of a nearby state recreational area. 

And since then, life continues to be sweet, relaxing, and (overwhelmingly) busy. All in the same day. For I am a grama, and a mom, and a wife, and a friend. And I am in the midst of a season of balancing. 

Balancing all the different plates that make up our life right now. It's the plate of being grama to six sweet ones who live nearby (and four who live a distance away), the plate of being helpmeet and companion with my honey in our "empty nest" years; the plate of serving together in Cru and all the office work and organization that I assist with at the beginning of a new school year and all through the year; the plate of being mom to the six I love and who all have parts of my heart, forever; the plate of leading a City Group together with my husband (a new small group at our church); the plate of working on mission together with our City Group to start up Cru at Central High (exciting days); the plate of listening to God and writing on this blog (clearly a passion of mine, and a blessing from Him to be able to write here); the plate of helping care for my 92-year-old father who lives nearby in a retirement community (and who has had some health concerns lately); and more ...

Sometimes it may seem to my readers here that I am a professional at balancing all these different calls on my life. But, I am not. Every day, I am in need. And this past week I have been in deep need at times. 

And God so patiently and lovingly reminds me over and over again that it is not my responsibility to balance my plates. My responsibility is to turn over the controls, the balancing, to Him - to let Him do what I cannot do on my own. And just to come to Him with my weaknesses and my brokenness.

"Come to Me. Get away with Me
and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest .
Walk with Me and work with Me -
watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
Keep company with Me,
and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
(Matthew 11:28-30 MSG) 
"More than needing schedules and productivity, this week will need a Savior and a prayer. God's not asking me to produce - He's asking me to pray. God's not asking me to climb ladders - He's asking me to kneel and let go." (Wise words from Ann Voskamp on her blog this morning.)
Linking up with:
Heart and Home

No comments:

Post a Comment