PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Heart Preparations

As the holidays approach, my mind becomes more and more occupied with all the preparations. And loving the holidays as I do, I like to put a lot of time and effort into making our family celebrations special. Being blessed with a big family ... 17 of us here for Thanksgiving, and next month, 24 here for Christmas ... means that there is lots to do to prepare! And unknowingly, along the way, I can work myself into a state of hurry, focusing on one task after another.

This morning as I first awoke and my thoughts began to focus on some of the preparations, I felt a gentle reminder from within. A reminder that "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength" ... and "love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:30-31) is still true during this season. Especially true during this time of thankfulness and of celebrating our Savior's birth. And especially needed as mothers, the ones who hold our little ones and our grown ones in our hearts forever, who long to create atmosphere in our homes and holidays where all feel loved and valued deeply.

A reminder to keep my focus in the right place ... not on completing "tasks" from my list of preparations, but to keep my focus first of all on Love Himself, and on loving, on serving from a heart of love.

I need reminders before me all through the day ...


I love these verses and they speak to my heart ... I need "God's glorious, unlimited resources", the "inner strength" from His Spirit. I long for Christ to "make His home in (my) heart" this Thanksgiving and Christmas season. And as my "roots grow down into God's love", He will keep me strong ... and those around me will be able to sense His love, and experience for themselves "how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is".

May we focus on the things of most importance, everyday ... this Thanksgiving, this Christmas, and always. Only then will Love fill our homes and overflow to those around us ...

Linked to Walk with Him Wednesdays



2 comments:

  1. so, so good Cherry...it's hard for me to picture you being anything but peaceful:) but I trust you must seek Him and receive Him for it too...I think this is the Message? for Ephesians 3:16-19? thank you again for sharing your heart...so thankful to be walking with Him with you this day and whenever we connect through blogging:):):)

    ReplyDelete