PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

My September Kitchen: Sourdough Breads and Homemade Coconut Cream Pie


My September Kitchen was filled with the aroma of breads baking, and also with my dream coming true of making pies again! Though I am fairly regular at baking sourdough bread each week, I needed to take most of the month of August off from baking breads, as we were very involved with some significant happenings with my siblings. So it was especially exciting for me to spend a focused amount of time in September baking breads again. And the pie ... well, it was an unexpected gift for me to make a pie. 


My first bake the beginning of September was to replenish our supply of Artisan Bread. I keep a supply of this favorite sourdough bread in our freezer, and it was time to make more. I made four loaves, and like to cut each one in half before placing them in the freezer.  


My "Basic Artisan Sourdough Loaf" recipe comes from "Second Rise Sourdough" who I follow and learn lots of helpful tips from on Instagram.


I also like to continually have sandwich bread on hand, and made three loaves on my second bread-baking day this month. Again, the recipe I use is from the same source as the Artisan bread. For these, I slice the loaves, placing wax paper between each slice, and then store in the freezer to pull out as needed.


My next bake was a seasonal recipe that I've made before: Apple Pie Focaccia. A sweeter sourdough bread which is much like a dessert for us. Though it can be served as a sweet pastry for breakfast, if desired. Click for the recipe at Amy Bakes Bread.




Another sourdough bake this month was to make some Ciabatta again, something I do once in awhile. It's a treat to use these for sandwiches, shown as an open-faced sandwich in the photo below. 


I froze both the Apple Pie Focaccia and the Ciabatta in smaller packages, perfect to pull out for the two of us.


And now ... sharing my biggest baking joy of the month:

Homemade Coconut Cream Pie


It has been a desire of mine to get back into baking pies again. Sadly, it has been a number of years since I have done so, and my latest attempts a few years ago didn't turn out as I had hoped.

I feel like this was a gift from God, who cares about every detail of our lives, and knows even our dreams and desires. It turns out that I needed to find a new crust recipe. And in mid-September I learned of a great source with lots of detailed tips for pie baking: Sally's Baking Addiction. An answer to my dreams and desires ... I am so thankful.


This Homemade Buttery Flaky Pie Crust turned out amazing, so buttery and flaky and so very delicious. And it will be my go-to pie crust recipe from now on! This baker also has very detailed helpful tips for baking pies, and also other baked items. 


The Homemade Coconut Cream Pie  that I made was from the same source as the crust recipe. It was the perfect pie for me to make for my hubby, one of his favorites! And so delicious. And if you follow along here, you'll be seeing more pie recipes in the future, for sure. You can also purchase the cookbook, Sally's Baking 101 from this helpful source, which I treated myself to this month, as well. (Currently it's 45% off on Amazon.)

Thanks for reading along; it's a joy for me to share what is happening "In My Kitchen". And hopefully it will be an encouragement to you as we love and serve our families and friends with delicious foods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment