PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Summer: The Growing, and the Harvesting of the Fruit



It's that time of summer
when the fruit of our planting
is beginning to appear ...
we've been enjoying fresh cucumbers,
sprigs of parsley, snips of basil,
chives, and tomatoes will be coming soon.

Roots have grown down into the
fresh spring soil, soaking up the rains,
and burrowing down into the healthy ground.

And as we've had quiet moments to
rest (here and there, during busy days),
soaking up the Son, burrowing our hearts
down deeper into His Word, into Truth,
there has been growth, and fruit has come.


I love the fruit ...
the flavor of fresh herbs,
chopped up and added to salads
and butters, and main dishes.

And fresh veggies from the garden,
even from the produce stands
cannot be equaled -
they are a true taste of summer.

I love it, too, when I see the fruit
of His Word - in my heart, in my actions;
even as it blesses others, and points
them to His love for them.


But sometimes I catch myself
longing for more fruit, focusing
on the fruit, wishing
for more recognition, even for praise -
for fruit is beautiful.

But when I put all my effort and
all my focus on the fruit,
on the produce, on the goodness of it, 
I am disappointed, and life
turns out empty, devoid of beauty.

And I am reminded ...

"We long for showy fruit
when the Lord calls us
to focus on clinging to Him.
We want to produce, but He
reminds us that He provides
as we abide."
(Ruth Chou Simons)

"I am the Vine;
you are the branches.
Whoever abides in Me
and I in him,
he it is that bears
much fruit,
for apart from Me
you can do nothing."
(John 15:5)




Lord, may my focus be on You,
and You alone will bring the fruit.


For part one of this summer series, click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment