PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Friday, January 27, 2017

Cinnamon Chip Scones


Cinnamon Chip Scones - my first recipe post for this new year! 

I've only made a few scone recipes over the years, for I have just discovered in the past few years how much I love scones. I really need to make them more often. They are a good choice to add to a breakfast or brunch menu - not quite as sweet as some other pastries that are served, and so delicious. 

Pumpkin Spice Scones are a favorite, especially in the fall season. And these Cinnamon Chip Scones are a great choice over the holidays, into the new year ... and really, throughout the year.

Click on the Taste of Home link below to print:

Cinnamon Chip Scones


Course: Breakfast/Brunch
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 35 min
Serves: 12

Ingredients

  • 3-14 cups all-purpose flour
  • 13 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar divided
  • 2-12 teaspoons baking powder
  • 12 teaspoon baking soda
  • 12 teaspoon salt
  • 34 cup cold butter cubed
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 package (10 ounces) cinnamon baking chips
  • 2 tablespoons butter melted

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in chips.
  2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10-12 times or until dough is no longer sticky. Divide in half; gently pat or roll each portion into a 7-in. circle. Brush with butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
  3. Cut each circle into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

Powered by
Plan To Eat







These delicious scones freeze well, too. I made a double batch recently, served them at a gathering in our home, and then put the rest in the freezer to pull out one by one for breakfast. They heat up well in the microwave.

AN ADDED NOTE: Next time I make this recipe, I'll try cutting each circle into eight pieces, instead of six. And ... I want to thank one of my daughters (thanks, Cristy!) for telling me about this recipe a few years ago - she makes this recipe often, and I first enjoyed this scone recipe in her home! She also just shared another tip with me ... use half the amount of cinnamon chips, as a whole package per recipe is quite a bit. I'll be trying this tip next time, as well. They are delicious the way the recipe is written, but I think halving the amount of chips would make it even better. I love learning new cooking tips from my daughters!

No comments:

Post a Comment