Out of all the many, many Christmas cookies that there are to bake, there are two that are my husband's favorites ... these Wheaty Thumbprints, and Date Pinwheels.
I'm not sure where I first came across this recipe, but it is so good - I love it, too. I probably adapted it from the original, as I wanted to use honey as the sweetener, and also wanted to use whole wheat pastry flour. It's a tender, tasty cookie, rolled in chopped walnuts, with delicious raspberry jam in the middle. And it looks beautiful on a cookie plate!
Course: Cookies & Snacks
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 cups walnuts chopped
- raspberry jam
- Cream butter and honey. Add egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat.
- Stir in flour and salt. Chill.
- Form into balls. Dip into beaten egg whites, then nuts.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Press thumb slightly in center.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Fill with jam.
- Yield: 4 dozen cookies.