PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Very Essence of Prayer



Prayer - that word that draws us, but also eludes us. Like we have it figured out, and yet it can feel out of reach. And sometimes we even slip into the default of thinking of it in terms of lists and obligations, when it really is so much more.


Prayer is awe, intimacy, struggle -
yet the way to reality.
There is nothing more important,
or harder, or richer, or more life-altering.
There is absolutely nothing as great as prayer.


For prayer is our connection with God. Over six years ago when I started up my blog, prayer was one of my main topics that I wrote about. I chose to label one of my sections on the "pages" tabs of my blog for this topic:




If you click on the Heart Connect tab above, you'll find links to multiple posts that I have written over the years on this topic. And I continue to write about prayer; not because I have it all figured out, but because I continue to long to learn more ...

Prayer is a connecting of hearts -
ours to God's, and His to ours.

It's not reading or reciting through a list, 
though keeping a list of important things on our heart can be helpful as we talk with God.

It's not limited to a set, designated time on our schedule,
though having set times of concentrated communication with God can be very beneficial.

It's not one-way talking,
but is two-way communication.

It is not always easy,
but is often difficult as communication can be very hard at times.

It is not a waste of time, 
but is the most life-giving avenue to build a deep relationship.

It is one of the easiest things to be distracted from,
for it is one of the most important things we can focus on.

It is the sharing of hearts,
of growing in intimacy and knowledge with our Creator and God.

Prayer is continuing a conversation
that God has started
 through His Word and His grace ..."


No comments:

Post a Comment