PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Homemade Potato Salad


Starting off this marvelous summer month with a favorite recipe! I'm surprised that I have not posted this before, as it's a favorite during the summer months around here. A recipe passed down to me from my mother-in-law! 

After I tasted her potato salad many years ago, I knew that this would be the best way to make potato salad. The main difference between this recipe and the other potato salad recipes I have seen is that the potatoes are grated, instead of cubed. This makes all the difference, and is what sets this potato salad apart from the rest. In my opinion, and in the opinion of other family members - it is the best!

As there was no written recipe for this, over the years I have put together my own recipe. Of course, it is very flexible, as you can use as many potatoes you wish, and adjust the amount of eggs, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard, and salt & pepper. It's helpful to have a recipe to start with ... so here is my version. 

Print Recipe

Potato Salad

Course: Side Dishes
Serves: 16

Ingredients

  • 14-16 potatoes (medium)
  • 8-10 eggs
  • 2/3 cup pickle relish
  • 2 1/2 cups mayonnaise (or salad dressing)
  • 2 tablespoons mustard
  • salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions

  1. Boil potatoes (unpeeled) until tender.

  2. Boil eggs to hard-boiled stage; peel.

  3. Cool both. (I often cook both the day before preparing the potato salad; storing in refrigerator overnight.)

  4. Peel potatoes.

  5. Grate the potatoes and the eggs.

  6. Add pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper, adding more or less of the mayonnaise for the right consistency.

Powered by
Plan To Eat




We enjoyed this potato salad recipe at a recent family meal. It really is like a taste of summer! The recipe (above) made plenty for the 12 family members who gathered at our home, and also was enough for a number of additional meals for my hubby and me.

Don't you just love summer recipes?

Linking up with:
Cheryl at I'm Lovin' It

No comments:

Post a Comment