PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Longing and a Listening


I have found that it is not enough just to read God's Words. To go through the motions of reading and to mark something off the daily list does not necessarily mean that something is accomplished.

There needs to be a thirst, in order for the soul to be nourished. And as I think through the things of most importance in life (which I am doing during this new season I am entering - click here), I am reminded that listening and longing are of high priority.

Like newborn babies,
you must crave pure spiritual milk ...
(I Peter 2:1)

To come to Him with a longing to be fed, a desperate longing - like our life, our day, depends on hearing from Him. "He wants us to rely as desperately on Him as an infant for its mother." (She Reads Truth)

And just as an infant receives nourishment and life, so we will receive food for our souls, and we will receive life. But we must come with ears and hearts tuned to listen, and to receive.

Pay close attention to what you hear.
The closer you listen,
the more understanding you will be given -
and you will receive even more.
(Mark 4:24)

As the years go by, and the numbers increase in my age, I am finding myself even thirstier, in more of a need to be nourished by what is living. Longing for Him, in desperate need. Of Him.

Why do you spend your money
for that which is not bread,
and your labor
for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to Me
and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to Me;
hear, that your soul may live.
(Isaiah 55:2-3a)


Loving Lord, may we come to you with desperate longing, with ears tuned in to hear You above all the noise around us, waiting to receive nourishment, food, and water that satisfy our needy souls. And give us life.

For more posts on things of highest importance:
HEART FOCUS

No comments:

Post a Comment