Don't all children love chicken nuggets and also mac & cheese? I knew that this menu would be a good choice when planning for a day with two grandkids here a few weeks ago. And I also wondered if five year-old Cruz would have fun helping me prepare the chicken nuggets. I was right ... he did!
The Chicken Nuggets recipe we used was one that I had made many, many times when our six (grown) kids were at home. It has actually been a long time since I have made this particular recipe, and it was so good to make it again. Not a lot of work ... and very good! And extra fun with a grandson helping!
Source: Family Favorites
Course: Main Course
- 3-4 whole chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Basil leaf dried
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- Cut chicken in nuggets, about 1 1/2 inches square.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese, salt, and basil.
- Dip chicken nuggets into melted butter; then in crumb mixture.
- Place in a single layer on foil-lined baking sheet. (jelly roll pan works well)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden.
We also had a Macaroni & Cheese recipe that I have used often over the years. I mixed it up the day before our grandkids were here, and also doubled the recipe so I could put some in the freezer for a future day - likely when some of our six grandkids who live nearby, will be here in the coming weeks!
Both of our grandkids (five year-old Cruz, and little sister, Eva) loved the meal. A good choice for little kids!
Course: Side Dishes
- 1-1/2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta) cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.