PAGES: MAIN TOPICS I WRITE ON

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Beauty in Adversity

Photo Source

Why do we try to squirm out of difficulties, out of trials? Especially when God tells us that trials are to be preferred, for they are the surest way for us to be molded into His character, ready to reflect His beauty? (James 1:2-4)

I continually try to avoid trials and times of difficulty, and sometimes think that I have maybe had my share. Why must I need to learn over and over again that being broken is the best way to be?

For it is in being broken that God's fragrance is spread to those around us ...

"Through suffering, 
our bodies continue to share 
in the death of Jesus 
so that the life of Jesus 
may also be seen in our bodies." 
(II Cor. 4:10)

"Our circumstances are the means God uses to exhibit just how wonderfully perfect and extraordinarily pure His Son is. Discovering a new way of manifesting the Son of God should make our heart beat with renewed excitement. It is one thing to choose adversity, and quite another to enter into adversity through the orchestrating of our circumstances by God's sovereignty. And if God puts you into adversity, He is adequately sufficient to 'supply all your need.'" (My Utmost for His Highest)

Finding myself in the midst of some difficult circumstances, I am learning again, and maybe in an even deeper way than ever before, to be thankful for these times which draw me to my knees. 

"Dear brothers and sisters, 
when troubles come your way, 
consider it an opportunity for great joy." 
(James 1:2)

Loving Lord, please use difficult times to break us, and free us of self, depending only on You ~ so that Your sweet fragrance fills us to overflowing, and spreads to all around ... for You are all we have and all we need.

Linking up with Reflection SONday, sharing some things that God has been teaching me recently.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the link up. Your words are so encouraging! Exactly what I needed. Thank you for letting God use you. I can't see your following posts... I think it may be my button. You can put the link instead and hopefully it will fix it. Sorry. So grateful to find your blog!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... well, now I see them. So nevermind. But I would love to learn from your experience... since you have been in the exact stage I am. Ministry but with kids. What insights can you share that you have learned? What did you wish you knew at my stage in life? What tips helped you in balancing motherhood and ministry?

    ReplyDelete